Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tip of the Week - Who's Your Hero?

This week, Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider Guest Blog Wednesday featured renowned photographer Matthew Jordan Smith. Mr. Smith talked about the importance of having a hero for your photo. He shows several examples to give you an idea of what he means. It started me thinking about my photography and who my heroes are. I never thought of it that way before. I plan to start paying more attention.

Read the article and then take a look at the photo to the left and decide who's the hero? It could be different than the person you think or not.

Tell us who you think it is and why. I will take all reasonable answers and select one using our raffling software and send the winner a prize. So, be sure you post something!

7 comments:

  1. The hero of the photo is the elderly woman who is looking directly at the camera. The hand on her shoulder indicates this is a family group picture (perhaps the story of the photo), but she is the one relating to the photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hero in the photo is the elderly women in my opinion. Looks like a nice family picture of grandmother, daughter and granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all about 3 generations, grandmother, mom and daughter but the grandmother has to be the "hero." She is looking right at us, and besides, without her, the other 2 wouldn't have been born!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it interesting that everyone thought the elderly woman is the hero of the photo. For me, it was the woman in the back with the daisy in her hair. She is also looking directly at the camera and her smile really draws me in. I also think her coloring is more vivid which also draws my attention. The older woman is in the front and looking forward but her expression is mildly curious. Do you agree or disagree?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My question would be - are we looking for the thing that grabs our attention or the story in the photo? My eye first goes to the flower and the pretty woman in the back who is looking at the camera, however if I imagine her as the hero, the story is that she's whispering something to some other person and there's an elderly woman in the picture - no story (unless they're telling a joke about the elderly woman); if I use the elderly woman as the hero, there is a story - there is a relationship between the people in the picture (hand on shoulder)and they are together for a reason. The difference in ages and the suggestion of a relationship says "family picture" to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both I think. All three women tell the story - a multi-generational photo would be my guess, so it needs all three women to tell the story, but the young woman looking directly at the camera with the added flower in her hair takes the focus - in my opinion. I used this photo because it is not an easy fit and would make everyone think, so it did what I hoped. :-)

    ReplyDelete